Sunday, October 9, 2011

Finishing The Magus

"But this reprieve didn't last long. Even when they were white they terrified him, more than before maybe, and they never stopped following him" (Calasso pg. 191). This seems an accurate description of Nick's life in The Magus. No matter how much he escaped Conchis and his fellows, the older man appeared to have a constant presence, if only in Nick's mind. It was this that triggered the ultimate fallout between Nick and Alison. One could almost say the whole situation was akin to the days when every bad choice a person made was due to the presence of a god inside them.

All in all, the book was rather interesting.... and then I came to the end. I was warned, but it did not fail to infuriate me all the same. I may not have been willing to burn the book, but tossing it out my ten- story window and watching as it was run over by a truck, followed by dancing over its mangled remains would have sufficed.

No comments:

Post a Comment